Social Media Posting Guidelines
Thank you for following the American Society of Appraisers (“ASA”) through our social media platforms. While visiting our LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, or Flickr sites, as well as ASA's forums, please keep the following guidelines in mind:
ASA Social Media Posting Guidelines:
The creation of ASA-labeled social media channels on third party social media websites, and any postings and comments therein, shall not contain or link to language or illustrations that:
- Are libelous, defamatory, obscene, threatening, offensive, demeaning, derogatory, abusive, ad hominem, or off-topic;
- Contain content that is confidential or proprietary to ASA, its contributors, or affiliates;
- Violate the Sherman Act or any other anti-trust laws;
- Violate ASA’s Antitrust Guidelines;
- Are solely for commercial purposes;
- Endorse any candidate or office holder or partisan political position;
- Include spam or chain letters;
- Violate third party’s right to privacy or any other applicable local, state, national, or international law; or
- Degrade others on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual preference, disability or other classification.
In addition, participants should keep the following in mind:
- Don’t attack others. The discussions on the ASA social media platforms are meant to stimulate conversation not to create contention. Let others have their say, just as you may.
- Don't post commercial messages. Contact people directly with product and service information if you believe it would help them.
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on any platform is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Please note carefully all items listed in the disclaimer and legal rules below, particularly regarding the copyright ownership of information posted to the ASA community.
- Remember that ASA and other participants have the right to reproduce postings.
- Send your message only to the most appropriate platforms. Do not spam several tools with the same message.
Keep in mind that information posted on these social media channels is available for all to see, and comments are subject to defamation, antitrust, and other laws. In addition, you agree that ASA and other participants may reproduce your postings.
Authors who create, post and/or comment on ASA-labeled social media channels shall:
- Represent that they have the legal right to reproduce, adapt, display and distribute the material and that it does not infringe the copyright, trademark, patent trade secret or other intellectual property or proprietary rights of any other person or entity.
- Include their name in the creation of social media channels and with each post or comment; anonymous activity is not permitted.
- Certify that they are of legal age (18 or older).
The Legal Stuff
The opinions of ASA social media channel creators, moderators, posters and commentators are their own, and not necessarily that of ASA or its affiliates.
By posting material to ASA-labeled social media, you grant to ASA and the members of this community the nonexclusive, world-wide, transferable right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material in any way and in any medium, including but not limited to print or electronic form.
ASA is not responsible for the content of third party social media websites and does not make any representations regarding the content or accuracy of materials on them.
With these rules and guidelines in mind, happy posting!