A joint message to members was recently sent by ASA’s International President, J. Mark Penny, ASA and Chief Executive Officer, Jim Hirt, MBA highlighting the accomplishments over the past year by volunteers and headquarters staff to help educate, promote, recruit, engage and represent our Society.
Below are a few highlights of the many accomplishments listed in the message:
- Continued government relations efforts have never been stronger representing and protecting the interests of all ASA members, including the release of updated SBA SOPs removing non-ASA real property course references. ASA was instrumental and lead the charge to successfully convince the federal government to pull job postings requiring another valuation organization’s designation. The ASA team continues its hard work toward legislative alternatives to the “appraiser-as-fiduciary” Department of Labor proposal. ASA also funded its first “Lobby Day” with 20 ASA members making an impact with 30 Congressional staff and members of congress through the delivery of a coordinated message about the needs of our members.
- ASA has also been the leading voice while participating in meetings with the International Valuation, Standards Committee, The Appraisal Foundation and many other valuation organizations.
- A “first” occurred this year with the use of broadcast media to promote ASA members. ASA partnered with Public Television to produce and air “What’s it Worth” a special spotlight on the valuation profession for consumers nationwide. The show was a huge success and watched by more than 4 million viewers.
- Specialty valuation courses were held this year in mining and aviation; an advanced course in advanced diamond grading through a new partnership with the Gemological Institute of America (GIA); and accelerated “Summer Camp” courses in personal property.
- Accreditation requirement updates for the ARM designation led to the successful hosting of two courses this year in Chicago and Las Vegas. Students included a broad mix of ASA members from BV, MTS, PP and RP disciplines.
- The number of ASAs that have completed the requirements for the Business Valuation Intangible Asset Appraisal Specialty (ASA BV/IA) has doubled over the past year.
- ASA membership continues to remain strong with over 4,800 members. Current growth trends project a 2% increase by the end of the fiscal year, including a 34% increase in international applicants over last year.
- This year was also highlighted by the release of a new international branding initiative with ASA’s new logo, corporate color scheme and an upgraded and redesigned ASA website with an expanded “Find an Appraiser search function.” This new feature provides more exposure of our members’ unique skills to those looking to hire an ASA member.
The message also included an invitation to members to view more exciting highlights by visiting ASA’s Blog, which provides an inside look at course previews, event recaps, chapter news, member spotlights, government relations updates, client tips and more.