ASA’s Real Property Discipline recently completed the launch of its new RP401 Going Concern course. The course debut in March with classes held at three different west coast locations: Las Vegas, Nevada; Anaheim/Cypress, California; and Portland, Oregon with instruction provided by L. Deane Wilson, ASA and Robert C. Schlegel, FASA. A total of 32 students completed the initial classes, many of whom provided rave reviews. Class pictures are available to view online.
Joining the rave reviews have been a number of inquiries from non-ASA real property appraisers of compeer organizations seeking information about the new SBA requirements, the course and becoming a member so as to continue being an approved SBA “Qualified Source”.
In addition to collecting reviews from students and inquiries from non-members, ASA also solicited feedback from over 80 ASA real property members to help gauge member awareness of the new SBA requirements and to help measure potential demand for future offerings of the course.
Based on the survey’s results, a majority of respondents indicated they perform real property appraisals which include the going concern, are familiar with the new SBA requirements and have heard about ASA’s new course. However, when asked about their likelihood of attending the course about half of the respondents reported they were not likely to attend primarily due to travel expenses, and limited number of state approvals for continuing education credit.
“We are very pleased with the reviews and feedback received during our trial run”, said Real Property Committee Chair, Michael T. Orman, ASA. “The various comments and input showcases the strengths of our offering and solidifies that our opportunity is on target with market demand. It also helps us better understand our member’s needs so we can make necessary adjustments.”
Based on this feedback, discipline leaders and headquarter staff have been working to implement new changes for the next offering of classes, including:
- A new line up of classes to be offered in a variety of locations including: Sacramento, CA—December 4-7, 2014 and others to be announced.
- An expanded group of state approvals for continuing education credit, including: AZ, CA, CO, ID, MO, NM, NV, OR, UT and WA currently approved, with AR, CT, GA, IA, IL, KY, LA, MD, MO, NE, NH, NJ, OK, PA, RI, TX and others pending.
- A special 1-day offering of the course to be held at ASA’s 2014 International Appraisers Conference, Tuesday, September 16, 2014 in Savannah, GA.
- Plans to partner with ASA chapters to offer the course locally. Chapters interested in participating should contact ASA’s Director of Education, Stacey Talbot at email@example.com or (703) 733-2114.
- A new special discount to ASFMRA, IAAO, MBREA, NAIFA and RICS members.
Stay tuned for additional announcements on the latest course developments and promotions. Visit www.appraisers.org/Education/going-concern-program or call (800) 272-8258.