Tips for success
More than 75 percent of students taking ASA courses pass the class exam the first time. Ensure your own success by following these suggestions…
Come to class prepared
- Come to class prepared, it is strongly recommended that you complete all the pre-course assignments
- If you are required to bring a calculator to class, please make sure you know how to use it and that the batteries are fresh
- Some courses involve exercises in Excel, if you have a laptop it is recommended that you bring it
- Dress is business casual. Bring a sweater, classrooms can be chilly
Leave your office behind
- These courses are intensive - the syllabus is supplemented with assigned homework that must be completed every night
- Stay in the classroom and turn off your cell phone! Your office can get along without you.
Plan to stay on site
- Take advantage of ASA’s discounted room rates and stay on site. You’ll avoid traffic and parking hassles and have more time to concentrate on class.
Tips for taking a machine gradable exam
- Read the questions and the answer choices carefully. Watch for negatives such as “not”. Be wary of words like “never” and “always”.
- Choose the best answer. Other answers may be good, but they’re not the correct choice.
- Don’t get stuck on any one question. For difficult questions, choose an answer, and then mark the question for extra attention later.
- Fill in the answer sheet lightly the first time you fill it in so you can erase cleanly. Keep the pencil mark within the oval so it doesn’t bleed into any of the other ovals.
- Review your exam answer sheet carefully before you turn it in. Darken any ovals so that the scanner records your answers. Erase any stray marks and answers you’ve changed. If there are two answers filled in, the scanner will count this as an incorrect answer. It is equally important to answer every question. Questions with no answer will be marked as incorrect.