On January 28, 2012, the ASA International Board of Governors (BoG) passed a resolution
authorizing the development of a multidisciplinary advanced education program focused on
healthcare industry valuation. The ASA BoG also authorized the award of a “Certificate of
Completion” granted by ASA upon the successful completion of such advanced coursework.
The ASA HSIG Multidisciplinary Advanced Education in Healthcare Valuation Program
consists of four (4) webinars and a two-day, in-person course session, with a T/F-multiple choice exam.
Each of the four (4) webinar course sessions is focused on Healthcare Valuation and one of four (4)
major appraisal disciplines:
- Valuation of Healthcare Real Estate & Real Property;
Business Valuation of Healthcare Enterprises and Services (and interests therein);
- Valuation of Healthcare Tangible Personal Property; and
- Valuation of Healthcare Intangible Assets and Intellectual Property.
The two day, in-person course session is titled “The Four Pillars of the Healthcare Industry: A
Review of the Reimbursement, Regulatory, Competitive, and Technological Environment for
Healthcare Valuation” and is divided into the following modules:
- Overview of Healthcare Industry;
- Healthcare Reimbursement Environment in an Era of Reform;
- Impact of Competitive Forces;
- Technological Development;
- Regulatory Environment of the Healthcare Industry; and
- Conclusion, Review and Examination.
The two day, in-person course session is organized and presented in accordance with the Four Pillars of the Healthcare Industry concept; i.e., Reimbursement, Regulatory, Competition, and Technology, which shape the dynamic by which providers and enterprises operate within the current transactional environment. These Four Pillars also serve as a conceptual framework for analyzing the viability, efficiency, efficacy, and, ultimately, the economic value which may be attributed to property interests, whether enterprises, assets, or services.