Chapter officers and/or representatives again met at ASA’s 2013 International Appraisers Conference in San Antonio. A roundtable discussion was hosted by ASA Regional Governors - Susan M. Golashovsky, Carol Akers Klug, Renee D. Marino (unable to attend), Mike Pratt, and Blake J. Runckel. Chapter representatives took turns discussing challenges and successes as summarized below.
Representatives from 15 chapters and members of ASA’s executive committee, Board of Governors and staff included the following:
- Los Angeles
- Vermont/New Hampshire
- J. Mark Penny, ASA, International President
- Jim Hirt, Chief Executive Officer
- Bonny Price, Chief Operations Officer
- Joseph Noselli, Chief Financial Officer
- Susan Houchins, Director of Membership, Accreditation and Reaccreditation
- John Russell, Director of Government Relations
- Todd Paradis, Director of Marketing and Communications
Top challenges identified were:
- Difficulties attracting membership participation where there were long commuting distances.
- Need to increase membership of younger appraisers.
- Organizing programs for a multidiscipline audience.
- Need for local officers to volunteer and mentor in the younger appraisers.
Top successes identified included:
- Partnering with other professional organizations to co-host special programs increasing participation, reducing expenses, and increasing networking opportunities.
- Increasing continuing education programs suitable for a multidiscipline audience.
- Establishing a mentoring program to guide candidates to accredited senior appraiser status.
A novel meeting idea was to host an “Annual Candidates Night” to bring instructors, ASA’s, candidates and prospects together. Other special events included: Chapter BBQ (Denver); “IRS Symposium” featuring judges, attorneys & CPAs (LA); Energy Valuation Conference (Houston); “Behind the Scenes” at museums (LA); Fair Value Conference (Chicago); Capital Markets Luncheon (Chicago); FBI Crime Event (Chicago), Auto speakers luncheon (Detroit); Personal Property Issues & Insights (SF); Real Property Seminar (Detroit); and USPAP.
Chapter officers and/or representatives gained new friends with whom to exchange ideas on speakers, media, mentoring, and other topics. ASA regional governors are testing out a video webcast conference call to discuss resolution of the aforementioned challenges, and the newly created virtual chapter for members whose chapter has dissolved and are located more than 120 miles from another chapter. Members are encouraged to contact their Regional Governor to assist with challenges your chapter is facing, and to share your successes!