Independent Professional Appraiser of Diamonds, Gemstones, Watches and Fine Jewelry
Nancy Stacy is an independent jewelry appraiser specializing in appraisal of modern and antique fine jewelry, diamonds, gemstones and watches. She serves the San Francisco Bay Area from her office in Walnut Creek, California.
A professional in the jewelry industry since 1980, Nancy owned a fine jewelry store for ten years before opening her jewelry appraisal practice in 1990. Ms. Stacy earned her Graduate Gemologist (GG) diploma from the Gemological Institute of America (GIA) in 1984. She earned her Master Gemologist Appraiser® credential from the American Society of Appraisers (ASA) in 1987.
She now operates Contra Costa Gem Lab, which is a state-of-the-art Certified Laboratory of the Accredited Gemologists Association. Nancy Stacy is highly respected in the appraisal profession, having attained top-level credentials in three professional appraisal organizations.
- Senior Appraiser and Master Gemologist Appraiser® of the American Society of Appraisers, and International Chair of ASA’s Gems & Jewelry Discipline for 1997-99. Three terms as G&J Education Chair & advisor to ASA International Education Committee, currently serving second term as Vice-Chair of the ASA International Board of Examiners.
- National Association of Jewelry Appraisers (NAJA) Charter Senior Member
- Accredited Senior Gemologist of the Accredited Gemologists Association (AGA).
- Certified Insurance Appraiser(TM) - Jewelry Insurance Appraisal Institute
- Member (1982) International Society of Appraisers, President of the Northern California Chapter, 1991-1992, Certified Appraiser of Personal Property (ISA-CAPP) 1995-2002
- Accepted as an expert witness in several courts of law.
Appraisal course developer and instructor:
- Instructor and course co-developer of ASA’s GJ206 “Gems & Jewelry Standards and Techniques”, required for Master Gemologist Appraiser® certification. Course co-developer and instructor of ASA’s GJ205, “Gems & Jewelry Appraisal Theory, Methods and Application”, and GJ216 “Advanced Gemological Appraisal”, which she has taught four times at the invitation of the government of China, in Beijing and Shanghai.
- Instructor for ASA’s Principles of Valuation courses PP/GJ201 (Introduction to Personal Property Valuation), PP/GJ202 (Valuation Methodology: Research & Analysis of Data) and PP/GJ203 (Report Writing).
- Member of Jewelers Vigilance Committee Appraisal Task Force to write Guidelines for Insurance Documentation
- Consultant for the development of GIA’s Insurance Appraisal course
- Selected to the USPAP Issues Resource Panel of the Appraisal Foundation’s Appraisal Standards Board